Monday, October 6, 2008

Finally!

Where to start......well we are semi settled in and I feel like the longer I wait to post, the harder it gets. So I am just going to start catching up with everything that has been going on.

First- we did get our business in Alaska sold. We got an offer in June and to be honest I don't think that any of us actually thought that it was going to happen! But at the end of August everything came together for us. I think we all had mixed feelings about it. Mostly Tim (I am still waiting for mine;) it is something we have done for a very long time. I think Tim said it was 13-14 years for him......it gets to be something that even though you are burned out and sick of going back and forth every summer it is familiar and what your are used to doing. So when we actually got down to handing over all of the keys.....and boats......it was EXTREMELY hard to let go! But I did feel a little relief when I turned that 800# over to someone else.......that thing followed me every where I ever went. As a little tribute to ending the Alaska phase in our lives I am going to make a list of all of the things that I will.....and will not MISS!

Will NOT Miss......
  1. 4:00 a.m. check-in (o.k. so at least Katy and I sometimes got to go back to bed....the guys had to work all day).

  2. Moving back and forth every 6 months (and I swear to myself that this will help me be more organized instead of having boxes here and there and I don't even know where).

  3. As I already mentioned the 800# following me and people calling at all hours.

  4. Being afraid and carrying bear spray when you get brave enough to go on a walk.

  5. Dealing with Never satisfied, Never happy, Never do anything right customers! Not that I really want to remember the bad stuff, but......there was a lady that called to tell me that I should be aware that she saw the guy packing her fish, and that I should know he stole some of her fish. First of all the guy was my brother Tim, one of the most honest people you will ever meet. Second of all she was counting the pieces that he cut up, then counted her bags at the end......he put two pieces in a couple of the bags. My brother tried to call her to tell her to bring it all back so he could cut the bags open to prove to her that he didn't and would never do such a thing......but she never returned our call. We have so many stories about customers that would give us a hard time. We would usually come home and laugh about it over dinner. Oh and their questions.......My favorite was "So, what is the elevation here"? uummmm lets see depending on the waves 2-3 feet;) Gotta love it!
Will ALWAYS Miss.......
  1. The absolutely breathtaking view of the Volcanoes across the Inlet. Especially the sunsets when you are out for a walk (sunsets in Alaska last for hours).

  2. The fireweed and all of the wildflowers. Because there is so much sunlight and rain, the flowers grow taller than you are. They are beautiful and I loved the way they smelled.

  3. All of the friends that we have made up there over the years. We have met some really good people. Some of the best have been the people that worked for us.

  4. Being with and spending time with my siblings and parents (although I know at times we all probably got family overload)

  5. This one is mostly for Tim, but the long road trip that no matter what is always an adventure with awesome scenery and a lot of wildlife. This last trek home for him was crazy, he decided to have Peyton drive with him. Well just FYI if you are ever traveling alone with a child across US borders you either need a permission slip from the other parent or a death certificate.......I am not kidding. Poor Tim was stuck at the border for hours because I was out of reach and didn't know about that memo. Anyways it is always quite the road trip, mostly dreaded but I think it was something my dad really missed after he stopped driving.

  6. OK, last one is when it was a really beautiful day, all boats were out and the water is really calm. The phone rings, they are on their way in and someone got a big one. They get in and there is excitement all around the office. The customers are happy, the guides are even happier thinking "can you believe we get paid for this"? You have an arm full of cameras and people are stopping by from all over town to check out the good catch NSC got. Those were the GOOD days!!



One fun thing that we did as a family before we came home was taking a Kenai Fjord tour. We saw some humpback whales, sea lions, sea otters, puffins, and a really awesome glacier. There was a lot of little islands every where and Peyton wanted to know if they were "treasure islands" and if we were going to be able to stop and check it out. Here are a few picts from that trip.

Here is Peyton on the look out for any whales:) He got a map of where we would be going before we left and studied it the entire time.

Addison of course was more interested in the party going on inside.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You almost had me in tears Tiff. It seems there are so many things in life that cause mixed feelings, but if you remain complacent they escalate into hard feelings until you let go. Then everything you loved about the situation haunts you. I am greatful that we can enjoy (most of) the good things about the business by just visiting.
It looks like you had a good time in Seward. I do wish we would have taken some time at the end to do that. Tim has never done it!
Anyway, good to hear from you. We miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

You summed it up perfectly. It made me sad to read it too. I will never miss those early (4am) mornings and GROUCHY customers...but I will always miss the nice customers, good AK friends, the walks to the bluff, the fireweed, the good days with big fish and happy people all around, spending time with family, the view of the inlet, the smell of the ocean, and just getting away up there. I never had closure since I didn't make it up there this year :(. But AK will always have a special place in all our hearts. I hope we can all go back and visit and actually do some of the FUN things that beautiful place has to offer!

Anonymous said...

I am probably the last person you would expect to have memories of AK but I do have a few. Getting Tim ready to go before Tiffany took over was a BIG chore. "Tim, do you know you have 54 pairs of socks? I think more than half are Kevin's." He used to go out to say good-bye to all his friends & ask me to finish his laundry--he had just done load #1!
The two times I was there will always be some of my BEST memories ( I never worked in the office, I just stayed home & took care of the kids--easy, easy!!) The time I got to go fishing was great, even if the fish I caught wasn't so big. Spending time with Peyton, and just seeing what everything was all about--learning how to process the fish, finally getting to drive Tim's truck, meeting Addison for the first time, I will never forget any of this! But the biggest & best memory will always be the trip to WY with Tim. I saw beauty that I never thought I would ever see. I will forever be grateful to my son for getting the chance to make that trip! There was something special about a Mom & her son spending 4 days in a truck with each other, wasn't there Tim?
Spending two weeks with your mother-in-law isn't always easy but Tiffany always made me feel like I was doing them a favor instead of the other way around. Thanks to both of you, from the bottom of my heart, for sharing AK with me! Love, Mama K

Jordan and Barbara said...

Glad to see you are back and back to blogging. Such a cute family picture.

tracy said...

Isn't it funny that most things are "bitter sweet"! We'll have fun this next summer!

Hutchinson said...

I enjoyed your post. Brought back a few memories of the time I got to visit you there. I am glad you are getting settled I would love to come and see you. My mom and dad are there today visiting the Ashtons. Lets get together.

Brooke Carroll said...

Hey Tiffany! How are you and your cute family doing? I seriously can't believe how big this humongous fish are! I've never seen anything like it before. Wow! So what are you and your family been up to this last summer? I saw your blog on Tina's and wanted to say hi. I wish Nate and I could see you and all your siblings more. We love you guys! I want you to meet Mersadie too, so hopefully we can see you all soon. Take care and have a great week!

lkj said...

Oh my goodness Tiff! Cute photos of the fam! Congrats on selling the biznas'. I am a little sad for you not going to Alaska every summer. And what awesome memories I have of the boat tour in Seward we took, with Todd and Kolby. (Remember the 'HOT GUY' we followed around to get an inconspicious pict of...) Of course that was WAY before we were married. :) I am happy for you and your success and happiness. You have a beautiful family! I miss you much, and i can't wait to see you sometime!! Loveyou to peices~

The Baker Family - a red thread said...

TIFFANY! I am so excited that you aren't dead! Just kidding - I was really happy to see your post. I am embarrassed to admit that I asked the "elevation question" the summer I was in Alaska between our jr and sr year of high school. One of the dumbest things that has ever come out of my mouth. I am just living in Layton now, so I need to come see you sometime. Take care!

Emily said...

Thanks for the call the other day. I just love talking with you. I hope your doing ok, and are all settled in the new house. Love you much.

Jamie Eyre said...

HI- I know all about how hard it is to post after so long - but what a great post it was!
I'm so sad that we never got up there to see you guys. I always wanted to, and I know Kyle was dying to go. BUMMER!

Brooke Carroll said...

Hey! I am going to make my profile private and still want to keep in touch with ya, so if you want, leave your email address in my comments page and I will invite you to my blog! I won't make your email public. Hope to hear from you soon!

Brooke Carroll said...

Hey thanks, you are so sweet! I appreciate that. I know, I haven't been good about blogging lately either. Sometimes ya just don't have any time! Nate told me to say hello to you guys and hopefully we will get to see you all over the holidays. I love this time of year because we just want to see everyone so bad. Have a great Sunday and thanks for writing! (say hello to your family for us!)